Gender inequality is an issue that is very relevant in our world today. Would the use of technology help reduce inequality in schools?
Benefits:
- Using technology would help teachers not discriminate based on handwriting.
- Clickers could be used to eliminate bias answers.
- By having multiple choice answers instead of short answer or essay questions, the teacher wouldn’t be able to give a variation of scores based on his or her opinion.
- Teachers generally call on males more than females, so technology would eliminate this issue.
- Teacher is still going to be able to tell who is who based on the name at the top of the paper. Technology would help this situation if we for example used our ID numbers in place of our name.
We need to make sure society is aware of just how serious gender inequality is in our schools today. If we are able to spread the word and stress the importance of change, I feel like we would have a better chance in seeing it through. People would become more aware of their actions and hopefully begin to change them and give everyone an equal chance. Technology won’t be able to eliminate gender inequality completely, but I think it could for sure help.
You had some great and interesting points. I never thought of handwriting as a way of discrimination between different genders, and I have heard that boys are more often called on than girls. I wonder why this is? I agree that technology would help eliminate some gender bias, but the teacher is the one who has to change to wipe it away completely.
ReplyDelete